By age 7, children should be evaluated for orthodontics. Many children by this age show signs of crowding, gaps, misalignment, and bite issues. Our dentists at My Dentist in Westminster are highly experienced in determining whether or not you or your child will need orthodontic intervention. We are proud to offer various treatments to help improve comfort when speaking, eating, and doing daily tasks.
Who Needs Orthodontics?
Not everyone will need orthodontic intervention, but it is essential to maintain regular dental visits to ensure that if intervention is needed, it is done sooner rather than later. Postponing dental treatment and orthodontic procedures can cause more problems later on – both for your mouth and your wallet. Here are some reasons you may need orthodontic treatment:
- Bite corrections for overbite, underbite, and crossbite
- Early loss of baby teeth leading to overcrowding
- Misalignment due to jaw position or the way the adult teeth erupted. Misalignment is the most common reason for orthodontic intervention.
Available Orthodontic Treatments
It is important to have a discussion with your dentist about your specific dental issues and the treatments that offer the best success. Depending on your needs, your dentist can recommend a suitable treatment that will help you reach your goals.
A tried and true orthodontic treatment, traditional metal braces are an excellent choice for realigning teeth and correcting any dental issues listed above. Additionally, many parents and individuals opt for braces because of their affordability and proven success rate.
- Affordable – this orthodontic treatment is the most affordable option for families and individuals.
- Better for Severe Issues – for severe alignment issues, orthodontists will recommend metal braces over clear aligners.
- Durability – the reason orthodontists recommend traditional braces for anyone under the age of 14 is because of the durability factor. Metal braces can sustain a lot of wear and tear and cannot be lost or misplaced, unlike Invisalign.
Invisalign is recommended for teens and adults and provides a discreet way to straighten misaligned teeth quickly and confidently. Due to the discipline required and the flexibility this treatment allows, Invisalign is typically not recommended for adolescents under the age of 16.
- Discreet – older teens and professionals like Invisalign because they can improve their smiles without drawing attention.
- Flexible – you can remove the aligners to eat or speak, just remember to put them back in as soon as you are able.
- Easy to Maintain – Invisalign aligners do not require any special maintenance or dental routine. Simply brush and floss normally (twice per day for two minutes) and wear the aligners for 22 hours per day.
Additional Orthodontic Treatments
No matter which treatment you choose, there may be other issues that are not corrected with braces alone. For young children, space maintainers can help keep baby teeth out of the way while adult teeth erupt. Additional orthodontic procedures will be discussed by your orthodontist as needed.
Trusted Orthodontists in Westminster, CO
The best way to know which type of orthodontic treatment to pursue is by consulting with our dental professionals at My Dentist. We are committed to helping you achieve the best results within your budget and timeframe. Schedule an appointment today to discuss a straighter smile.